Personal/Social Counseling

The Mineral Area College counseling center provides help for people who are experiencing emotional problems that interfere with their college and/or personal lives.

For example, pressures from school, home, and job may accumulate and make it difficult to function effectively in all areas. The onset of a sudden change such as a job loss, the break-up of a relationship, alcohol or drug abuse (either personal or with friends/family) or the death of a relative or mate may create emotional problems that interfere with daily living.

Some Warning Signs

  • Changes in eating or sleeping habits.
  • Physical complaints when no medical causes can be found.
  • Excessive anxiety for no apparent reason.
  • Prolonged feelings of despair and unhappiness, withdrawal, lack of interest in daily activities, etc.
  • An unusual amount of irritability or suspiciousness toward others.
  • Not working up to capacity at school or work - inability to concentrate.
  • Personality changes that can't be explained, such as sudden shifts in mood or behavior.

Individuals experiencing one or more of these symptoms may be helped by counseling. The Personal Counseling Program provides free, confidential consultation, referral and short-term services for students at Mineral Area College.

The goal of short-term counseling may be to prevent small problems from becoming big ones or to intervene quickly in a crisis, helping people to return to their normal functioning as soon as possible. Remember that most people who seek help benefit from the treatment.

In situations where the problems are more longstanding, referrals can be provided.

If you or someone you care about suffers any of the above symptoms and you would like more information, come in and speak with a counselor in the Student Services office, or call 518-2211 or e-mail Mark Easter at to set up an appointment.

All services are free and completely confidential

Career Counseling