International Admissions

Mineral Area College is authorized under federal law to enroll international students. Admission inquiries should be directed to the Admission’s Office. Mineral Area College is a participating SEVIS school.

Study in the States

International students requesting I-20s for an F-1 visa to study at Mineral Area College must fulfill the following requirements for admission:

I-20 forms will only be issued when all admissions requirements are met.  Upon receipt of the required documents, an I-20 form will be issued within 30 days. 

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Once enrolled, international students on a F-1 Visa must:

  • Successfully complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester
  • Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or above.
  • Complete a certification program in no more than four semesters or an associate degree in not more than six semesters, excluding summer and interim sessions.
  • Provide the college with proof of health insurance each semester of enrollment.

If the student completes fewer than 12 credit hours or earns a GPA less than 2.0, he/she will not be permitted to re-enroll.

Resident Alien Admissions

Resident aliens will be admitted upon presenting:

  • a valid passport
  • Resident Alien card
  • Application for Admission
  • Evidence of English proficiency (see below)
  • Official transcripts of previous education.

Additional Information and Resources

  • Mineral Area College does not provide financial aid, housing or transportation for international students. 
  • College Park apartments are available for rent.
  • All documents submitted to Mineral Area College become the property of the college and cannot be returned or reproduced.
  • All international students obtaining an F-1 visa are required to file form 8843, Statement for Exempt Individuals. 
  • They must also file an income tax return and any related documents each year prior to April 15 to report all income.  Students are required to complete this process regardless of employment.

There will be a one time, nonrefundable $15 application fee for first time MAC students applying for Fall 2019, Spring 2020, or Summer 2020. The $15.00 application fee should be paid online via credit card at the time of application. Beginning Fall 2020, the application fee will no longer be required.

Application Deadlines

Applications for admission, transcripts, test scores, and all other admission materials should be on file by the following dates for the corresponding semester:

Summer Term:  March 1
Fall Semester:  May 1
Spring semester:  October 1

First Time Students

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)

An official score report must be sent to the Admission’s Office.  Results are considered official only when sent directly from the testing agency. The test should have been taken within the last two years.

A minimum score of:

  • 500 paper-based
  • 173 computer-based 
  • 61 internet-based

The TOEFL institutional code for Mineral Area College is 6323.  For more information on the TOEFL, contact:

TOEFL/TSE Services

P. O. Box 6151
Princeton, NJ 08541-6151, USA
Telephone: (609) 771-7100
Fax:  (609) 771-7500

Transfer Students

  • Passing grades (“C” or better) in English as a foreign language course or Composition and Rhetoric.
  • Completed ESL level of 109.
  • A minimum band score of 6 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
  • A minimum ACT English score of 19. Test results are considered official only when sent to the Admission’s Office directly from ACT. The ACT institutional code for Mineral Area College is 023060.
  • A diploma from a secondary institution in an English speaking country (United States, Canada, England, Republic of Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand) with a minimum of two years of successful full-time study with English as the medium of instruction.

Send the Admission’s Office official or certified copies of transcripts of upper-secondary (high school) credits showing graduation requirements have been met. 

  • Transcripts must be accompanied by the grading system used. 
  • Documents must be issued in the native language and be accompanied by the Certified English Translation. 
  • Records are official only when sent directly from the issuing institution or translation service.
  • Records must bear the original seal of the institution or the original signature of the institution’s records official. 
  • MAC will accept a satisfactory score on the HiSET (high school equivalency test) in lieu of a high school transcript.

Send the Admission’s Office official transcripts(s) from all colleges and universities attended. Missouri Department of Elementary & Secondary Education does not accredit or formally approve credential evaluation services. 

  • Such transcripts must be translated into English accompanied by the grading system used. 
  • All documents must be issued in the native language and be accompanied by the Certified English Translation (see below). 
  • Records are considered only official when sent directly from the issuing institution,
  • and must bear the original seal of the institution’s records official.

These companies have provided documentation affirming that they follow the standards of recognized national organizations of foreign credential evaluators.

Educational Perspectives
Post Office Box 618056
Chicago, IL  60661-8056
Phone: 312-421-9300
Fee: $160.00 (course-by-course evaluation and grade point average)  

Foreign Consultants, Inc.
Credential Evaluation, Immigration and Translation Services
11206 A Osage Circle
Westminster, CO 80234
Phone: 303-585-0978
Fee: $180.00 (course-by-course evaluation and grade point average)
Contact the agency for instructions before sending documents.

Institute of Foreign Credential Services
12 Cedar Street
Dobbs Ferry, NY  10522
Phone: 914-693-2840
Fee: $150 (course-by-course evaluation and grade point average).

World Education Services, Inc.
Bowling Green Station
Post Office Box 5087
New York, New York 10274-5087
Phone: 212-966-6311
Fax: 212-739-6100
Fee: $160.00 (course-by-course evaluation and grade point average)
Contact the agency for instructions before sending documents.

Transfer students

  • Supplemental Transfer Form - must be completed by the student and the prior designated school official.
  • Academic transcripts from previous institution(s) - students must have a grade point average of 2.0 or higher with proper international status.

Cost of Attending Mineral Area College

  • Submit International Student Financial Support Form to Admission’s Office. The form must indicate minimum support per year. The documentation can be no older than six months.
  • International students must pay Mineral Area College’s out-of-state tuition rate.
  • Estimated cost per academic year (9 months) in U.S. dollars:
Tuition ($202.00 x 30 credit hours/year) $6,280.00
Books, supplies $1,600.00
Room/meals $7,238.00
Personal and Transportation $3,462.00
Health Insurance $ 900.00
Total $19,480.00
  • International students are not eligible for federal aid. 
  • A student must not plan on working to help defray the cost of attending college. 
  • According to immigration regulations, anyone who enters the U.S. on a student visa must not accept part-time off campus employment.

Submit certification of current Accident and Sickness insurance applicable within the  U. S. during enrollment.  The insurance must have

  • Provisions for hospitalization
  • Basic injury and sickness treatment
  • Medically supervised repatriation
  • Return of mortal remains
  • Emergency evacuation. 

After enrollment, health insurance verification must be provided to the Admission’s Office at the beginning of each semester.

Submit a doctor's physical form, performed by a qualified physician.  The form must indicate that you are in good health and are free from communicable diseases.