Mission, Philosophy, Values and Vision Statements
Mineral Area College serves the community by providing students a quality, affordable education and offers opportunities for personal growth and career development in a safe, professional environment.
Philosophy of Purpose
Close to the community it serves, Mineral Area College is dedicated to individual betterment and an open-door policy.
- Our students can expect excellence, opportunity, and encouragement so they are able to succeed.
- The development of our teaching and learning environment is a responsibility we share by continually striving for quality in our educational programs.
- Our curriculum and program offerings effectively serve our community's educational and training needs.
- We are committed to respecting and caring for one another by being professional, fair, and honest.
Mineral Area College will be recognized as an innovative and significant educational institution and will:
- Recruit, develop, and retain a diverse student population by providing an accessible, quality, and affordable education.
- Provide students, staff, and faculty with appropriate resources for programs and services.
- Encourage and support individuals, businesses, and organizations to meet their educational needs.
- Serve as a resource for community and cultural enrichment.
- Attract, develop, and retain dedicated, diverse, and professional employees.
- Strengthen relationships with school districts and community agencies.
Mineral Area College meets the needs of those who will transfer to other institutions, those who are preparing for careers through occupational programs, and those who value learning for its own sake. Through continuing education and cooperative programs, the College contributes to the economic development and general welfare of the region.
Mineral Area College fulfills its statutory mission through the following goals:
- College/University Transfer: Provide lower-division courses in general education as well as prerequisite work leading to the Associate of Arts degree for students who plan to transfer to four-year institutions.
- General Education: Provide courses that result in personal, cultural, intellectual, and social development in transfer and career programs leading to Associate of Arts, Associate of General Studies, Associate of Arts in Teaching, Associate of Science, or Associate of Applied Science degrees.
- Customized and Contract Training: Provide specialized training to address specific needs of business and industry and to further the economic development of the region.
- Career and Technical Education: Provide courses which aid in the achievement of the technical knowledge and general background information necessary for programs leading to Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Science degrees, as well as one- or two-year occupational certificates.
- Developmental Education: Provide courses and resources that help students in the development of appropriate study skills so that they may achieve a successful transition into employment or postsecondary programs and coursework.
- Student Services: Provide support services to assist students in achieving their educational goals, including orientation, assessment, academic and career advisement, financial assistance, personal counseling, accommodation services for students with disabilities, and other learning resources.
- Continuing Education: Provide a variety of lifelong-learning opportunities to people of all ages who wish to acquire new skills through non-traditional activities, such as seminars, workshops, and non-credit courses for their professional careers.
- Community and Cultural Services: Provide a variety of activities and events that are responsive to the advancement and enhancement of the region’s diversity and quality of life.
Mineral Area College will be an open-door institution known for its integrity, flexibility, creativity, responsiveness, quality instruction, and from its commitment to working for the benefit of the educational and cultural needs of the citizens in the taxing district.
Mineral Area College adopts the following organizational priorities:
- Outcomes Assessment: Commit to assessing student achievement in order to evaluate whether the College attains its mission, vision, and preserves its values. Assessment results and strategies are used to continuously improve the learning environment, our operational processes, and the effectiveness of all employees.
- Student Success: Provide courses and programs in which learners will attain a general education, prepare for careers, meet lifelong-learning goals, and expand social and cultural awareness.
- High School Relationships: Ensure a smooth transition for high school students entering Mineral Area College and provide resources and information to maximize their college experience.
- Diversity: Foster a climate in which diversity and individuality are respected and incorporated into learning opportunities for everyone. All students and employees are respected and safe within the College’s learning and working environments.
- Partnerships with Business and Industry: Promote and develop economic growth and vitality in the region by providing training to meet the needs of employers and employees in the region.
- Technology and Facilities: Set high standards for continuous improvement of instructional and operational technologies as well as facilities.
- Operational Effectiveness and Efficiency: Foster open lines of communication and cooperation among faculty, staff, and administrators. Create a working environment in which professional experience is valued and encouraged by providing the resources, tools and freedom to achieve the College’s mission and philosophy of purpose. Achievement will be measured through on-going institutional research and feedback. The results will be used to determine long-and short-term goals.