CDA courses are available at Mineral Area College and may also be available in local high schools.
Course Topics Include:
- Health, Safety, and Nutrition
- Guiding Alternatives for Young Children
- Introduction to EC Education
- CDA Credential Prep
For a full list of course requirements, see the Child Development Associate Degree Plan.
480 hours of field/work experience in child care or a related field are required before pursuing your CDA credential.
After completing your CDA credential, you can pursue a number of high-demand jobs in our area:
- Assistant Classroom Teacher — Head Start, Even Start, or First Steps programs
- Lead Teacher — licensed and/or accredited privately-owned programs
- Child Care Associate — community child care programs (like YMCA) or business services (like employer-owned child care programs
- Director of Licensed Child Care Center — up to 20 children
Other Credential and Education Opportunities
Consider increasing your education, qualifications, and earning potential with other certifications or a degree from MAC:
- Director Certification
- Associate of Applied Science in Child Development
- Associate of Arts in Teaching
If a bachelor’s degree is on your to-do list, Central Methodist University is conveniently located on the Park Hills campus and offers a Bachelor of Science in Child Development. You can also take advantage of one of the many other universities with which MAC has credit transfer agreements.